Posted by Colleen Clayton
Union County, NJ – On Saturday, April 26, from 12pm-3pm in Elizabeth, Rahway and Union, The Gateway Family YMCA is holding a free community event to inspire kids to keep their minds and bodies active. YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day®, the Y’s national initiative to improve families’ health and well-being is designed to motivate and teach families how to develop a healthy routine at home.
Activities will include CATCH games, Story Time with guest readers, open swim, Family Zumba, class demonstrations, vendors, relay races, healthy snacks and water bottle give-a-ways. Each YMCA branch will offer various raffle prizes, with the grand prize being a brand new bike.
The Gateway Family YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day takes place at the following locations:
· The Rahway Branch, 1564 Irving Street, Rahway NJ 07065
· The Elizabeth Branch , 135 Madison Avenue, Elizabeth NJ 07201
· The Five Points Branch, 201 Tucker Avenue, Union NJ 07083
· The Wellness Center Branch, 1000 Galloping Hill Road, Union NJ 07083
“One in three U.S. children is obese. This statistic, coupled with the fact that once summer hits, children will be more idle, demonstrates why it’s important to help families develop healthy habits now,” said Krystal R. Canady, CEO, The Gateway Family YMCA.
In celebration of YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
- High Five the Fruits and Veggies – Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development.
- Foster an Early and Onging Passion for Books – Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
- Team Up for Athletic Events – Set a family goal of great health by teaming up for community or charity events like races, walks, fun runs. Bike rides, etc.
- Volunteer Together – Find a cause that matters to the kids. Open their eyes to a world beyond themselves and the rich rewards that come from making a difference.
- Lead By Example – Be a good role model – kids can be influenced by seeing how hard their parents work at home or on the job, and how rewarding that experience is.
“As part of the Y’s commitment to healthy living, through YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day our goal is to improve the health and well-being of kids and inspire habits they can continue into adulthood, “added Melynda A. Mileski, EVP/COO, The Gateway Family YMCA. Healthy Kids Day features fun, active play and educational activities for all ages.
YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, celebrated at nearly 1,600 Ys across the country, aims to get more kids moving and learning, so they can keep up the habit all summer long – a critical out-of-school time for kids’ health. Research shows that without access to out-of-school physical and learning activities, kids fall behind academically. Kids also gain weight twice as fast during summer than the school year.
For more information on The Gateway Family YMCA visitwww.tgfymca.org.