.

Malfunctioning Boiler Causes Evacuation of Morris Avenue Apartment Building

Tenants were relocated after the building lost heat.

Tenants of a Morris Avenue apartment building were forced to evacuate amid blistering cold weather overnight when a malfunctioning boiler filled the building with smoke and set off carbon monoxide alarms, according to the Springfield Fire Department.

Deputy Chief Carlo Palumbo said firefighters received a call at 3:08 a.m. Wednesday and responded to the apartment building at 232 Morris Avenue.

"It turned out to be a malfunctioning boiler," Palumbo said.

Due to the smoke and carbon monoxide levels, tenants were evacuated as firefighters ventilated the building. At approximately 4:45 a.m., after the building was deemed safe, residents were able to re-enter to gather some belongings but because the building lost heat they were relocated to the Chisholm Center, Palumbo said. 

There were no injuries to tenants or firefighters, Palumbo said. 

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »