With the assistance of departments from nearby towns, Springfield firefighters were able to keep a fire in an apartment complex from doing significant damage.
Springfield Fire Department Deputy Chief Carlo Palumbo said the fire started in a kitchen of a second floor apartment at the Troy Village apartment complex at approximately 8:25 a.m. The homeowner was away during the incident. While the apartment suffered smoke and fire damage, no one was injured in the fire.
"The cause of fire appears to be accidental," Springfield Fire Chief James Sanford said. "The Union County Fire Investigation Task Force report is pending."
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the kitchen; Palumbo said that if the fire spread to the attic, the damage would have been much more severe.
Crews from Union, Millburn and Summit responded to the scene while firefighters from Westfield, Hillside and Cranford covered at the Springfield fire department.
"The first due companies worked effectively to stretch hose lines, ventilate and control the fire, " said Fire Chief Sanford.