The following is a press release from Springfield's government.
Capital Projects & Infrastructure Improvements Update
Springfield continues to undergo major transformations this year. After the initial round of road improvements in the first half of 2012, crews are preparing to begin construction on nearly a dozen more projects before concluding one of the most productive years in Springfield history.
Road improvements will commence Monday, September 10, weather permitting, on the following: Warner Avenue, Garden Oval, Cain Street (Meisel Avenue to South Maple Avenue), Alden Road and Littlebrook Road. The installation of new concrete curbing on Meisel Avenue between Linden Avenue and Maple Avenue is tentatively scheduled to begin Monday, September 24.
Union County has agreed to start construction on Shunpike Road and complete Mountain Avenue between Hillside Avenue and Shunpike Road. They have also agreed to install sidewalk between Linden Avenue and Meisel Avenue Park at our request. Work is scheduled to begin Monday, September 10. Union County has also provided Springfield with a tentative schedule for the long-awaited Meisel Park Pond Restoration:
Meisel Park Pond Restoration - 205 days. 9/7/12 - 6/21/13
- Prepare Design Plans 6 weeks 9/7/12 - 10/18/12
- Review 2 weeks 10/19/12 - 11/1/12
- Prepare & Submit Applications for NJDEP & SCD 15 day 11/2/12 - 11/15/12
- NJDEP Review 120 days 11/16/12 - 5/2/13
- SCD Review 30 days 11/16/12 - 12/27/12
- SCD Permit Received 0 days 12/28/12 - 12/28/12
- NJDEP Permit Received 0 days 5/3/13 - 5/3/13
- Prepare Contract Documents 3 weeks 5/3/13 - 5/23/13
- Review 2 weeks 5/24/13 - 6/6/13
- Finalize Contract Documents 2 weeks 6/7/13 - 6/20/13
- Advertise for Contractors 0 days 6/21/13 - 6/21/13
Mayor Shehady noted, “These projects mean government is at work. They are a priority for safety, accessibility and lasting infrastructure stability. We are committed to moving Springfield forward and residents should be happy to see real progress in the community.”
This follows the successful completion of improvements to Berkeley Road, Midvale Drive, Mapes Avenue, Owaissa Avenue, Lynn Drive, Vista Way, Wabeno Avenue, Briar Hills Circle, Patriot Park, Mountain Avenue sidewalk, Municipal Library sidewalk, Duffy’s Corner Parking Lot, the development of a new First Aid Squad & Municipal Library parking lot and restoration of the Washington Avenue and Marion Avenue dikes.